I cook my hard boiled eggs for exactly 12 minutes – hence the 12 minute cobb salad!
I was standing in front of the fridge wondering what my dinner was going to look like tonight (I didn’t feel like the lamb roast I took out of the freezer), when I realised I had everything I needed for the makings of a cobb salad.
I just love cobb salads. They’re like the ultimate salad without really being a salad. Does that makes sense? They’re full of delicious things like bacon, avocado & chicken but then there’s a little bit of lettuce on the bottom that makes it seem like you’re being really, really healthy.
It seemed a bit silly to put together a recipe for something that was thrown together from the fridge, so I’ll give you a quick rundown instead :
1. Put the eggs on to boil. Once the water is boiling set a timer for 12 minutes. (You can start on the other steps while you wait for the water to start boiling.)
2. Chop up your bacon rashers and put them in a frying pan to brown.
3. Prep your other ingredients – wash, dry & chop your lettuce, chop the avocado and tomatoes, dice your chicken breast (I used cold BBQ chicken).
5. Once the eggs have boiled, peel and roughly chop. Drain the cooked bacon on paper towel.
6. Now assemble your salad – lettuce on the bottom then rows of avocado, chicken, tomato, bacon & egg.
You can add anything you like to this salad – corn kernels, red kidney beans, jalapenos, brown rice…
Serve immediately with the dressing of your choice. I used a dairy free, gluten free Caesar dressing that a friend gave to me (thanks Robyn!). It was beautiful.