Treasure chest birthday cake

Treasure chest birthday cake HLH

Ahoy there me hearties!

A little pirate in our house turned 4 last week and requested a pirate treasure chest for a birthday cake.  The pillaging pirate was pretty happy with the end result and I swear there’s still a few gold coins hidden in his bedroom.

Now, whenever you make a birthday cake what is the most important step of all?  A layer of strawberry jam in the middle of course!  With this cake it also has the added bonus of keeping the coins in place too.

Here’s a quick run-down of how it came together.  Nothing too complicated, I promise.

Treasure chest birthday cake recipe

And another cake to add to the time :

Birthday cake timeline 2012

, , , ,

6 Responses to Treasure chest birthday cake

1. Barbie 28 November, 2012 at 5:14 pm #

Looks great! I a similar cake for my son last year on his 9th birthday. It was a hit!

2. hellolittlehouse 29 November, 2012 at 2:22 pm #

Thanks Barbie! I have a lot of fun making birthday cakes for the boys.

3. Mandy S 30 November, 2012 at 12:37 am #

I would love to know more about the things you used to decorate that construction site cake, or even just a close up picture. My son would absolutely love that! It would be very much appreciated if you have the time to email me a general idea of what ingredients you used to make the components. Thanks so much. 🙂

4. hellolittlehouse 30 November, 2012 at 12:45 pm #

Hi Mandy, the construction site cake is straight from the Australian Women’s Weekly Kids Party Cakes book (2005 edition). It’s a basic round cake with pale yellow icing then covered with broken Violet Crumbles (or choc-covered honeycomb). The cake is surrounded with chocolate covered nuts & sultanas for rocks and I used my son’s toy truck & workmen for decoration. I would love to be able to send you more photos but unfortunately our laptop was stolen not long after the party and we lost all of our photos. This is the only one left!

I couldn’t find the AWW recipe online, but here’s a link to the recipe book. Just let me know if you have any other questions!

5. fee 4 December, 2012 at 3:46 pm #

This looks amazing! I just wish your little pirate Charlie’s 4th birthday was before my little pirate Will’s 4th birthday (July this year) – I would’ve definitely made this over the engineering wonder that was his AWW pirate ship! (And I’m impressed that I’m not the only schmuck who made the tiger cake for my son – still have nightmares about all that orange buttercream!)

6. hellolittlehouse 4 December, 2012 at 4:57 pm #

Ha, ha – I gently steered Charlie away from that ship! You were very brave to tackle that one. I wonder what we’re in for next year?