Slow cooker shredded taco beef

Slow cooker shredded taco beef HLH

Day 30

I love shredded beef and it makes a great change from mince for tacos and nachos.  But the real star of this meal is the homemade taco seasoning.  If you’ve never made it yourself before you really should give it a try.  It’s better than the bought stuff and dead easy to make.  This version has a nice amount of chilli (enough for a good kick of heat) but you can adjust the amount of chilli to suit your taste.

As for the little tortilla cups, I haven’t included detailed instructions or images in the recipe for making these – mainly because I’m not entirely sure what I was doing was safe and I wouldn’t want anyone to get hurt in the process.  But for those of you who are curious, I just moulded a small-sized flour tortilla over an old, upside-down drinking glass and baked it in the oven (low-moderate heat) until it was starting to brown around the edges.  I only did one at a time (I didn’t want to risk ruining any more glasses) but reheated them in the oven before serving.  The glass was ok and they turned out beautifully, but just be careful.

Homemade taco seasoning HLH

Slow cooker shredded taco beef recipe

[ Print this recipe ]

31 days of slow cooker recipes - see more

, , ,

10 Responses to Slow cooker shredded taco beef

1. Shanzi 30 April, 2013 at 11:28 am #

OMG Yum!!
    Thank you for the beautiful Taco recipe. My family really enjoyed it.
    I have also made a large jar of the Taco mix to keep on hand.
    I will be making this one again soon.

2. hellolittlehouse 1 May, 2013 at 11:29 am #

You’re welcome! We love this taco mix as well and always have a jar in the pantry.

3. Nikki 26 July, 2013 at 7:41 pm #

I’ve only recently bought a slow cooker and wow, what have I been missing out on all these years! Thank you for this recipe – hubby and I absolutely loved it.

4. hellolittlehouse 27 July, 2013 at 1:49 pm #

You’re welcome Nikki. Hopefully your slow cooker adventures have only just begun!

5. amelia 24 August, 2013 at 8:01 am #

Hi I was just wondering how it goes with only half a cup of water as I’ve been covering all meat I’m slow cooking with water otherwise it dries out on the top or do you just keep turning it? Can somebody hep please??

6. Alex 25 September, 2013 at 10:56 pm #

I am SO excited to try this recipe! How many people will this feed?

7. hellolittlehouse 8 October, 2013 at 7:45 pm #

Hi Amelia – If I’m at home I’ll give it a stir (only once or twice), but most of the time I just leave it. I’ve found that once you shred the beef and mix it together before serving, the dry pieces moisten up again.

8. hellolittlehouse 8 October, 2013 at 7:53 pm #

I made this a couple of nights ago using 1kg beef and we easily got two meals from it (feeding 2 hungry adults & 2 kids) plus a lunch for me.

9. Rebecca 4 February, 2014 at 1:40 pm #

Do you think pork could be a suitable substitute?

10. hellolittlehouse 12 February, 2014 at 3:16 pm #

I’m sure pork would work well also. I’m not a fan of pork myself so I’ve never tried it with this recipe. Good luck!