Slow cooker choc lava cake

Slow cooker chocolate lava cake HLH

Day 3

This one took me by surprise.  I had already tried a couple of chocolate cake / chocolate pudding recipes in the slow cooker and I wasn’t too impressed.  This was going to be my last attempt before I moved onto something completely different.

Well I’m glad I persevered – this cake was perfectly gooey and there was lots of chocolate sauce.  My only warning would be that this recipe makes an enormous cake and a little bit goes a long way – it’s quite rich.  If you need a low maintenance dessert for a crowd, this is a good one.

Before you make this one, be sure to read the notes I included with the recipe regarding cooking time.

Slow cooker chocolate lava cake recipe

[ Print this recipe ]

31 days of slow cooker recipes - see more

, ,

16 Responses to Slow cooker choc lava cake

1. Jodie 3 October, 2012 at 7:30 am #

Good morning! What an excellent recipe. I am going to purchase a slow cooker this week. Does anyone have any tips for what I should be looking for in my purchase. Thanks Jodie

2. Jessica @ This Blessed Life 3 October, 2012 at 7:50 am #

oh my gosh. this looks incredible! pinning for sure! :)

3. hellolittlehouse 3 October, 2012 at 9:31 am #

You’re going to love it Jodie! I have a 5-litre and I wouldn’t recommend going any smaller if you’re cooking for a family. The best bit is being able to cook once with enough leftover for a second meal. I have a Breville and it’s still going strong after 7 years. It has a high, low and warm setting which I love, whereas some of them only have high or low. Hope that helps!

4. Deanna 3 October, 2012 at 9:37 am #

I found your “31 days” on the Nester blog and thought this was a fantastic idea. I’m always looking for slow cooker recipes and, so far, your recipes are all new to me. That lava cake looks yummy. Thanks a bunch.

5. Kristen 3 October, 2012 at 12:29 pm #

This looks incredible! I love these lava cakes, but have never made one myself. This month of chocolate may be the month.

6. hellolittlehouse 3 October, 2012 at 12:34 pm #

31 days of chocolate sounds spectacular! Just my kind of challenge.

7. Bill Colvard 14 October, 2012 at 8:03 am #

What is a slow cooker insert? I don’t have one of those. Does it come with the slow cooker or is it something that can be purchased afterward? I have a 7 1/2 quart CrockPot brand. I’ve been thinking about getting another one in a smaller size. Maybe the insert will be my excuse.

8. hellolittlehouse 14 October, 2012 at 10:03 am #

Hi Bill, when I say slow cooker insert I’m referring to the bowl (ceramic or metal) that you can lift in and out of the slow cooker. Sorry, I should have been clearer about that. Your current slow cooker should have one. I say buy the smaller version too!

9. Loretta E 15 October, 2012 at 4:51 am #

Oh boy, this sounds downright dangerous! I’m thinking it would be really awesome for Christmas parties to add a little mint flavor to the fudge layer. Maybe that’s something I’ll have to play around with.

10. hellolittlehouse 15 October, 2012 at 6:46 am #

Thanks for the wonderful idea! I love choc-mint.

11. Nancy 17 October, 2012 at 8:49 am #

Hi,

You cake looks delicious! I would love to make it. I like the fact that it has no eggs, as my grandson is allergic to them.

But, my slow cooker only has hour settings: 4 hrs., 6 hrs., 8 hrs., and 10 hrs. I guess that makes it High, Medium high, Medium low and Low?
    Which setting should I use?

Also, I guess the only way to serve this cake is by spoonfuls? I cannot imagine how to cut otherwise.

12. hellolittlehouse 17 October, 2012 at 12:08 pm #

Hi Nancy, I’ve never used a slow cooker with time settings before so I don’t think I can be much help to you. If you don’t have your original instruction booklet, perhaps try looking up the make & model on the Internet and see if you can find out the corresponding temperatures. You would want to cook this cake on the lowest setting available to you. As for serving, by the spoonful is the only way to go because of the sauce. It looks messy but it’s delicious!

13. Shannon Drage 27 April, 2013 at 6:26 pm #

Hi!

Was super excited to try this out :) after an hour on high chunks of cake started floating to the top, looks a bit like icebergs floating around!

Is this meant to happen/why is it happening/how can I save it?

Also the water is still sitting on the top very runny, does it thicken at all?

How do you serve it without making a big watery mess?

14. hellolittlehouse 28 April, 2013 at 7:44 pm #

Hi Shannon, what a shame you have icebergs instead of lava cake! My only suggestion would be that your slow cooker might be too hot (they all vary greatly) so next time perhaps try starting it on low and cooking it for a longer period if necessary. The water becomes the chocolate sauce and as the cake cooks it will settle to the bottom. If it didn’t work the first time please try again – it really is a lovely dessert! Good luck.

15. Mary 17 June, 2013 at 7:55 am #

I know you said feeds a crowd, but can you give me an idea in numbers?

16. hellolittlehouse 17 June, 2013 at 12:02 pm #

Hi Mary, I’m guessing a little but I would say that with a hearty ‘scoop’ of cake and sauce for each person and served with ice cream &/or cream, you would easily serve up to 8 adults. The cake was the width and 3/4 depth of my 5 litre slow cooker. That’s a lot of cake!