My boys love sticks

Stick letters HLH

I’m sure visitors to our house over the last month would have been wondering why there was a pile of sticks sitting near our front door.  To anyone else they would have looked like good fire starters, but I had another idea…

My life revolves around sticks

With 2 boys in the house my life revolves around sticks.   Where ever we go we’re looking for, and collecting sticks – sword sticks, pointing sticks, little sticks, big sticks.  I find them in the backyard, in the car, in my handbag, in their room.  My little men love sticks and since I’ve become a Mum I’ve certainly learnt to appreciate the characteristics of a good stick.

Letter art = stick letters

As part of the boys’ room makeover (read more here and here) I wanted to include some letter art.  I knew making the letters from sticks would perfectly reflect the boys’ love of the outdoors and their precious stick collections, so I started making a pile at the front door.

This was so simple to put together.  I printed a letter the size I wanted on A4 paper and put a piece of glass over the top (from an unused photo frame).  I used hand-held secateurs to cut the sticks to size and standard clear craft glue to put it together.  Once I was finished and it was dried, I flipped it over and used more glue on the back where I thought it needed more strength.

Stick letter art - stage 1

Stick letter art - stage 2

Stick letter art - finished

If you feel like it still needs extra support, you could also glue a thick cardboard template to the back.

Now it’s time to start on the letter ‘H’.

I guess we’re heading to the park for more sticks!

, ,

20 Responses to My boys love sticks

1. paula 28 September, 2012 at 8:16 am #

i can totally relate to the stick thing my boys are 3 and 5 and CANNOT go anywhere without collecting one or two :) ours usually end up as kindling !

2. leanda 13 November, 2012 at 5:13 pm #

This is brilliant! Hello artwork for Oliver’s room!

3. Emily 5 March, 2013 at 10:58 am #

I love it!! There aren’t any little boys in my life but my in-laws have a cabin and this would fit perfectly with their decor.

4. Tenna 12 March, 2013 at 1:37 am #

Making for presonal shower. THANKS!!!!!!!

5. Liz 9 July, 2013 at 4:43 am #

What was the piece of glass over the top for?

6. Liz 9 July, 2013 at 4:44 am #

Also, Do you have to soak the sticks to get out the bugs? if there’s any?

7. hellolittlehouse 15 July, 2013 at 9:56 am #

Hi Liz, the glass was so I could build the sticks in the shape of the letter without them sticking to the paper. Once the sticks were all glued together I could just lift them off the piece of glass.

8. hellolittlehouse 15 July, 2013 at 9:57 am #

I didn’t soak the sticks at all – there was no need as there weren’t any bugs or creepy crawlies on them.

9. Janice Lowe 22 September, 2013 at 4:22 pm #

Those are just darling make perfect gifts for country homes

10. Tiffany @ The Little Waffleflower 29 January, 2014 at 5:12 am #

I was just thinking I needed to find a project to utilize the piles of twigs in my backyard from our tree trimming, and I opened up one of my pinterest boards, and here was this beauty right at the top! How did you end up hanging these?

11. Sara 1 February, 2014 at 2:23 am #

Do you think that I could do this with drift wood? We are summer beach dwellers and I have bags and bags of drift wood

12. hellolittlehouse 12 February, 2014 at 3:17 pm #

Great idea!

13. hellolittlehouse 12 February, 2014 at 3:22 pm #

I used picture wire stapled to the back which worked quite well. My letters are quite light though, so if your letters are large and heavier you would most likely need something stronger or more secure.

14. Helen @ Blue Eyed Beauty Blog 20 March, 2014 at 1:42 am #

Love this idea! Totally planning on making one for my sons room!

15. Christine 22 March, 2014 at 2:22 am #

I love this idea! Thanks for sharing :) Could you post a picture of them hanging on the wall? Or give me a link of the finished room.

16. hellolittlehouse 24 April, 2014 at 4:32 pm #

We’ve since moved house & the boys room is still a work in progress. It’s not ready to share just yet :)

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

1. Friday Favorites | Just a Spoonful of Sugar - 23 March, 2013

[...] Cheap Craft: Stick Letters.  Future decoration for our future cabin in the mountains, mark it down.  This [...]

2. The Stick Letter | Weekend in the Southern States - 1 July, 2013

[...] saw this idea on Pintrest http://hellolittlehouse.com/2012/09/my-boys-love-sticks  and I loved the idea. It goes wonderful with my country chic feel. The only problem was that I [...]

3. A Natural Collector | Life In My Tree House - 25 September, 2013

[…] http://hellolittlehouse.com/2012/09/my-boys-love-sticks/ […]

4. Six Months Down… | Reineke Ramblings - 12 December, 2013

[…] sheepskin, wooden dowel wreath, wood slice frames, monogram pillow, stick monogram, moose painting, sweater […]