A little house = a little kitchen = a little pantry = no room for being disorganised.
But disorganised I was! I just couldn’t get my cooking mojo on in this new house and I suspected that my chaotic pantry was the culprit. I had been so busy unpacking the rest of the house that my pantry was suffering from a serious case of neglect.
But not anymore!
Here’s how I tackled the chaos :
- I headed to my local $2 shop and bought a dozen mason jars, half a dozen large barrel jars and half a dozen square jars (totalled less than $70)
- Beans, grains, dried fruit & nuts went into mason jars and onto the shelf above the fridge (I relocated the nic-nacs and junk)
- Bulk ingredients including rolled oats, sugar and flours went into the large barrel jars
- Rices, noodles and spaghetti went into the square jars
- I checked the expiry date on everything in the pantry and threw away what I wasn’t brave enough to risk
- I added a Hungry Caterpillar cookie jar
- I transferred all of my baking supplies and bulk ingredient overflows into the storage tubs on the top shelf (these were now mostly empty because of the removed beans, grains, dried fruit & nuts)
I was surprised how much space was created by removing all of the food packaging.
Also, when I’m shopping I stick to my meal plan (more on this in a later post!) so I’m not buying excess supplies that won’t be used up in the week ahead. This means I’m not wasting valuable space with things I don’t really need.
I did this makeover almost 2 months ago and I feel like it hasn’t taken any effort to maintain. And more importantly – I’ve got my cooking mojo back!
Time to tackle your pantry?